Monday, April 27, 2009


O.k, so I have a thing for Japanese fabrics and pattern books.~If you've seen my shop you will see a lot of Japanese fabrics, especially on my pouches... Those books above are a few I have bought recently....The third from the left, just this morning. I had seen it around several blogs and thought it looked inspiring. Plus, I'm always looking for books to spend money on and use the 'it's so and so's birthday coming up and I need to try something new' excuse...
So if you're my French Aunt, and you're reading this, please stop reading this now~ si tu es ma tante francaise, arretes de lire cette 'poste' des maintenant (franglais) :)

I will certainly try and make her something from this book

Apparently it was first published in Japan, but this is an English version~which makes it handy for those who don't speak Japanese.
We have a Kinokuniya nearby and I have bought many books and magazines there. I will miss it when we move.
I have made a few children's items from the books. If you are an experienced seamstress you can pretty much understand what's going on just by looking at the diagrams...

I am probably dreaming that anything I make from these books will fit me.

Can you spot the unexpected visitor who came to my photo shoot? I don't know where they came from!
unexpected guest

coccinelle !

This is a picture of my Dad, a little after he left Japan. He lived there for 2 years starting right after World War II ended. I tried to find a picture of him there and couldn't though he does have some mementos...Oh well, here he is in Morocco, a story for another time...Any Japanese he might've know would come in handy to me about now:)

Oh~and I wanted to mention for those interested: I found this site, it's got a very nice selection of Japanese craft books and more.
Do you like Japanese crafts too?




4 comments:

Heather said...

wow! those books are so pretty on their own! And how fancy that your dad lived in Japan, he looks so dashing, so "Casablanca."

When I worked as a jewelry designer I picked up a little Korean ;) but that's as close as I ever got to an Asian language!

KnockKnocking said...

These look like so much fun! Thanks for posting.

andrea said...

Hi-thanks for stopping by-
Yes, Heather, I believe that photo was taken in Casablanca! He lived there too,(quite the world traveler) for almost 12 years:)
KnockKnocking-I just finished my first project from the patchwork book...I will be uploading pics soon...
~Andrea

Ann Renee Lighter said...

I really like the photo of your Dad! You are so lucky to have that.
Ann

Blog Widget by LinkWithin