Thursday, January 14, 2010

A knitting pattern review


This post should be called: knitting pattern review or how to speed write a post!

Remember how I said I wanted to change a few things in my resolutions/goals posts?Here and here?
Well I thought I'd start reviewing some patterns as I (finally) get them finished.
I have ten minutes to finish this post because it's a sunny, not too cold day, and my Mom is coming to pick me up so we can escape...Probably to a yarn store.

Anyway, back to the review.
I have been a little lazy and made another hat instead of the vest I mentioned....

From this magazine , The Tilted Slouch hat by Katya Frankel. You can see it here if you scroll down on their page.

Yarn I used: Brae Tweed, from knit one crochet too.

What I did differently:
  • I used circular needles throughout, 'til the very end when I had to switch to double points.
  • I also used size 4 to cast on the brim and size 5 for the rest of the hat. I usually have to go down a size. Just the way I knit.
  • I only worked the stitch pattern 3 times (instead of 4) because I didn't have enough yarn (2 skeins).
Everything turned out easier than I expected. I usually don't like to do rib patterns as they get monotonous for me~ so that's a compliment to this pattern.

It looks like a regular fitting hat with just the 3 rounds done but if you want a really slouchy look be sure to do the 4.

I would like to figure out a way to decrease so it isn't so gathered looking on top but it's fine the way it is :)

Of course my daughter has already claimed it!

I did notice toward the end of the pattern it says: "Crown: change to larger dpn when necessary". I didn't really understand/see the reason for that so I just used the same sized dpn's as the circular I was using.




About the yarn:
I love using natural fibers. This one is a little 'fibery'. But was otherwise easy to work with and has a nice soft squishy feel. Not too heavy, not too light. The label says 60% merino wool, 20% baby llama, 10% bamboo, 10% donegal.

I would definitely do this pattern again and plan on making these for gifts!

How's that for 10 minutes? And I even had time to change my clothes!

5 comments:

Ann's ART said...

Love your blog!! Cute stuff on your etsy. I am going to heart it.

Heather said...

wow, that hat is the cutest and love the color of yarn you chose. I hope to knit fancy like you some day!~

Sabine, La Marquise des anges said...

I love the color too and the pattern is really cute. I can't believe I was not able yet to find some time to knit ... I miss it !!


have a lovely weekend.

sabine

We Blog Artists said...

I LOVE this hat Andrea...you're SO talented!!!
Char

Got It From My Mama said...

I love the shape of this hat is looks to warm and cosy

Blog Widget by LinkWithin