Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Crochet Baby Crowns

what I've been up to lately, post #2

Another great way to spark some inspiration is to take on requests and learn some new skills...

Most recently for me: knit  and crocheted items.



I consider myself a fairly advanced- intermediate knitter. I haven't made a sweater (my goal this year-and to me, the ultimate in: you know how to knit ; )   but I've tried a lot of different stitches, and cast ons etc. etc... 
According to this chart from the craft yarn council, I would be an 'experienced' knitter. Which boils down to, I'm the only one in my circle who knits, and I get requests...and lots of: I'm sure you can do its! Fortunately these requests are usually made by family members who don't mind waiting, lol. I take it as a compliment that people have faith in my skills, so I usually take on the challenge- it's also a great way/excuse to try new techniques and learn new stitches...

I can crochet too.
If you ask me while I'm knitting (more precisely, frogging) I would probably answer that crocheting is easier, however I think I have a harder time with it in the end, counting those stitches and which stitch to go into and so forth ...According to that same chart, I would be considered somewhere between 'easy and intermediate'.

Our family has some welcomed some new babies recently, and some coming soon .This was a special request for a crown in blue...
I can't tell you how many times I had to redo this! (see my skill levels above). A little determination, umpteen redos and modifications later and---voila...





It isn't blocked yet and I still have to try it out on my little nephew to see if it's even remotely close to the right size for my future cousin ...


I'm so glad I (finally)figured this out, my fingers were getting totally worn out and numb!

There are many different patterns on ravelry or pinterest-I think in the end I basically went with this one  with some modifications I can't remember of course ; )

I'm actually now anxious to make another and possibly write a pattern up my own way.

New inspirations : )

1 comment:

vintage grey said...

Oh, this is the cutest and love the color, too!! xo Heather

Blog Widget by LinkWithin